Enable push to talk on steam: When you have a voice chat with your friends on Steam, your microphone can pick up all kinds of unwanted background noise. Always remember to use the push-to-talk setting to mute your mic until you are ready to speak.
While the push-to-talk setting was located under the Steam settings menu, now it’s found in the new home in the Friends list settings menu.
Enable push to talk on steam
- To access this menu,
- Launch the Steam app on your computer.
- Open your friends list by clicking on the “Friends and Chat” icon at the bottom right of the Steam app.
- In the Friends & Chat window, click the gear button to open the friends list settings menu.
- Select the “Voice” tab and scroll down to the “Voice Transmission Type” section. Click “Push to Talk”. You can enter a hotkey to activate your microphone. We recommend using the tilde (~) key as your push-to-talk button, as it can be easily accessed during play and rarely interrupts with the game.
- You can toggle the option to have a short convo when you press and release the key as you want to.
- When you’re done, you can close the window and play without annoying background noise. You can always go back to this menu to adjust additional audio settings to enhance your volume, such as echo cancellation, noise cancellation and automatic volume/gain control, which are enabled by default.